|This page (like all pages on this wiki) was imported from the original English-language Battlestar Wiki based on what was available in the Wayback Machine in early 2017. You can see the archive of the original page here.|
This site is owned and operated by Battlestar Wiki and FrakMedia! Productions. Your privacy on the Internet is of the utmost importance to us. At Battlestar Wiki, we want to make your experience online satisfying and safe.
Because we gather certain types of information about our users, we feel you should fully understand our policy and the terms and conditions surrounding the capture and use of that information. This privacy statement discloses what information we gather and how we use it.
- 2 Information Battlestar Wiki gathers and tracks
Information Battlestar Wiki gathers and tracks
Battlestar Wiki gathers two types of information about users:
- Information that users provide through optional, voluntary submissions. These are voluntary submissions to receive our electronic newsletters, to participate in our message boards or forums, to email a friend, and from participation in polls and surveys:
- Information Battlestar Wiki gathers through aggregated tracking information derived mainly by tallying page views throughout our sites. This information allows us to better tailor our content to readers' needs and to help our advertisers and sponsors better understand the demographics of our audience. Because Battlestar Wiki derives its revenue mainly from sponsorships and advertising, providing such aggregated demographic data is essential to keeping our service free to users. Under no circumstances does Battlestar Wiki divulge any information about an individual user to a third party.
Battlestar Wiki Gathers User Information In The Following Processes:
Optional Voluntary Information
We offer the following free services, which require some type of voluntary submission of personal information by users:
- Wiki/Talk pages - Editing users of the site's Wiki and talk pages must register for these services (both are free of charge) in order to post, although they needn't register to visit the site. During registration the user is required to supply a username, password, and email address.
- Electronic newsletters policy (Dispatches) - We will offer a free electronic newsletter to users. Battlestar Wiki gathers the email addresses of users who voluntarily subscribe. Users may remove themselves from this mailing list by following the link provided in every newsletter that points users to the subscription management page. Users can also subscribe to the newsletters at the time of registration.
- "E-mail this to a friend" policy - Our site users can choose to electronically forward a link, page, or documents to someone else by clicking "e-mail this to a friend". The user must provide their email address, as well as that of the recipient. This information is used only in the case of transmission errors and, of course, to let the recipient know who sent the email. The information is not used for any other purpose.
- Polling - We may offer interactive polls to users so they can easily share their opinions with other users and see what our audience thinks about important issues. Opinions or other responses to polls are aggregated and are not identifiable to any particular user. Battlestar Wiki may use a system to "tag" users after they have voted, so they can vote only once on a particular question. This tag is not correlated with information about individual users.
- Surveys - Battlestar Wiki may occasionally conduct user surveys to better target our content to our audience. We sometimes share the aggregated demographic information in these surveys with our sponsors, advertisers and partners. We never share any of this information about specific individuals with any third party.
Consistent with the Federal Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA), we will never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13 without requesting parental consent.
Battlestar Wiki tracks user traffic patterns throughout all of our sites. However, we do not correlate this information with data about individual users. Battlestar Wiki does break down overall usage statistics according to a user's domain name, browser type, and MIME type by reading this information from the browser string (information contained in every user's browser).
Battlestar Wiki sometimes tracks and catalogs the search terms that users enter in our Search function, but this tracking is never associated with individual users. We use tracking information to determine which areas of our sites users like and don't like based on traffic to those areas. We do not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you.
Use of information
Battlestar Wiki uses any information voluntarily given by our users to enhance their experience in our network of sites, whether to provide interactive or personalized elements on the sites or to better prepare future content based on the interests of our users.
As stated above, we use information that users voluntarily provide in order to send out electronic newsletters and to enable users to participate in polls, surveys, message boards, and forums. We send out newsletters to subscribers on a regular schedule (depending on the newsletter), and occasionally send out special editions when we think subscribers might be particularly interested in something we are doing. Battlestar Wiki never shares newsletter mailing lists with any third parties, including advertisers, sponsors or partners.
When we use tracking information to determine which areas of our sites users like and don't like based on traffic to those areas. We do not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you. We track search terms entered in Search function as one of many measures of what interests our users. But we don't track which terms a particular user enters.
Stats trackers that we use to gather data include AWstats, Quantcast, and Woopra. Woopra is the only live stats tracking software installed, where we can look up where you are on the site. If you wish not to be tracked, you should log out, however this will prevent you from editing article pages. This information can only be seen by members of the FrakMedia! Productions team. In no way is this information given out to anyone.
Woopra allows us to analyze our site better to help you navigate this wiki. To learn more about Woopra, please visit their website.
Sharing of the information
Battlestar Wiki uses the above-described information to tailor our content to suit your needs. This is essential to keeping our service free. We will not share information about individual users with any third party, except to comply with applicable law or valid legal process or to protect the personal safety of our users or the public.
Battlestar Wiki operates secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. Our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorized individuals have access to the information provided by our customers.
We give users options wherever necessary and practical. Such choices include:
- Opting not to participate in certain interactive areas, which completely alleviates the need to gather any personally identifiable information from our users.