Battlestar Wiki:Tutorial (Namespaces)
|This page (like all pages on this wiki) was imported from the original English-language Battlestar Wiki based on what was available in the Wayback Machine in early 2017. You can see the archive of the original page here.|
In addition to the articles and their talk pages, there are some other categories of behind-the-scenes pages that help Galactipedians communicate with each other, and serve a variety of other roles in building Battlestar Wiki. These different areas are often referred to as namespaces — as in, "the talk namespace".
Current list of namespaces
This is the current list of active namespaces throughout all languages. The "Media Wiki" as a custom set of namespaces, but there is only one version like it. Each namespace also has its own talk namespace, which is formed by appending "talk" to the namespace name (e.g. "Template" has "Template talk").
- Encyclopedic content goes here
- Pages about users
- Battlestar Wiki
- Most projects/policies and Battlestar Wiki-related non-encyclopedic items go in here
- No longer used except for custom "descriptions for the Wiki" in question
- Messages system for critical information. Sysop editing only.
- Templates are pieces of often-used code that can be reused easily. See also below.
- Custom - Where we put portals on different topics
- Custom - Where we put official statements made by Cast/Crew members or anything that we source ourselves as a "reporting" agency
- Custom - Where quotes for the Quotes of the Day go.
- Custom - Podcast transcripts. See BW:POD for more information.
User pages and user talk pages
If you want to share information about yourself, the place to put it is your user page. If other users want to communicate with you, they will leave a message on your user talk page.
Some other areas
Pages in the Battlestar Wiki namespace (also known as the "Project namespace") provide information about Battlestar Wiki and how to use it. The MediaWiki namespace contains interface texts such as link labels (What links here, etc.) and server messages. All the pages in both these areas also have corresponding talk pages (in the Battlestar Wiki talk and MediaWiki talk namespaces respectively).
Content written in a Template page will be displayed in articles that contain the corresponding template reference. Take a look at BW:TEM project to see what templates have already been created. You can use the corresponding tags in articles. You can also create new templates.