Fan fiction/3D Models
|This page (like all pages on this wiki) was imported from the original English-language Battlestar Wiki based on what was available in the Wayback Machine in early 2017. You can see the archive of the original page here.|
3D models are computer files created by special programs designed to simulate the appearance of objects and environments in the physical world. Using calculations based on the interactions between light and physical materials, these programs can render images as photorealistic as the artist's abilities allow.
Popular 3D Modeling Programs
The models linked to through this page were created by fans of Battlestar Galactica, in their free time, using a host of popular 3D modeling programs. The following list of programs is for reference.
- 3D Studio Max is probably the most commonly used package for games.
- Blender is a free, open-source package rivaling the expensive modeling packages and offering some relatively exotic features like Game Blender.
- LightWave 3D is the package used to do the CGI in the reimagined series; its user interface is considered atypically verbose.
- Maya is the most commonly used package for movies. Maya Personal Learning Edition is available free for Mac OS X and recent versions of Windows.
- POV-Ray is a free, open-source ray tracing program.
Original Series 3D Models
Max 3+, Lightwave 5.6, Truespace - http://www.colonialfleets.com/
RDM Series 3D Models
3D Studio Max - http://www.scifi-meshes.com/
- MK II - Blender 3D http://www.katorlegaz.com/downloads/Blender_3D_Model_Repository/sci-fi/bsg-vipermkii.zip
- MK II - Lightwave http://www.lwg3d.org/
- MK II - 3D Studio/Other http://scifi-meshes.com/
- Lightwave http://www.lw3d.org/
- http://www.scifi-meshes.com - an online community of 3D artists; also hosts 3D models for download
- http://www.blenderartists.org - an online community of Blender 3D artists
- http://sci-fi3d.theforce.net - many Sci-fi models available including several Viper Mark II models
- http://www.colonialfleets.com/ - all things BSG and model related