Life Sciences of the Twelve Colonies (TOS)
From Battlestar Wiki
|This page (like all pages on this wiki) was imported from the original English-language Battlestar Wiki based on what was available in the Wayback Machine in early 2017. You can see the archive of the original page here.|
| Part of the series on|
This article is a listing of Life Sciences of the Twelve Colonies. "Life Sciences" is a term used to described medical practices of the Colonies, including biological and psychological science.
- balcon infusion
- A treatment applied to Starbuck by the Beings of Light upon transport to their dimension. He responds well to the treatment (War of the Gods, Part II).
- bio-pulse line
- Starbuck: "Well, it's my bio-pulse line, sir. You see, it's a bad time for me to be cooped up in a cockpit." (Saga of a Star World).
- "Bio-pulse" is a likely reference to a 1970's Scientology fad that attempts to track behaviors and motivations based on pseudo-biological cycles known as biorhythms.
- Some sort of head or brain scan (War of the Gods, Part I).
- A device capable using cryogenic suspension to preserve or prolong a patient's life, until effective treatment can be applied (Lost Planet of the Gods, Part I).
- A device used by advance scouts after returning from a recon mission to detect and remove contaminants, presumably removing viruses and bacteria to which Colonials have no natural immunity (Lost Planet of the Gods, Part I).
- energon treatment
- Some sort of rejuvenating treatment, available in the life science station (War of the Gods, Part I).
- The technical name given a laser scalpel, used in Adama's surgery (Fire in Space).
- A treatment available in the life science station, offered to Iblis (and refused) to help speed his recuperation (War of the Gods, Part I).
- Doctor Salik: "increase [the critical patient's] Islodin intravenous feed six units per centon." (Lost Planet of the Gods, Part I).
- A type of medicine.
- laser scalpel
- Doctor Salik: "I don't think you want me poking around your father's heart with a laser scalpel at a time like that." (Fire in Space).
- See finite microlaser.
- life pod
- Doctor Salik: "If we just let him lie in that life pod he doesn't have a chance in a centura." (Fire in Space)
- The life science center is the medical care facility on board a Colonial battlestar (Saga of a Star World).
- respiratory probe
- Some sort of lung or lung function probe. Apollo admonishes Dr. Salik to get a portable respiratory probe to be used on Iblis (War of the Gods, Part I).
- A measure of well-being used by the Beings of Light. Starbuck's restons respond well to the balcon infusion, allowing him to stand and move about (War of the Gods, Part II).
- ultrasonic scrub
- The colonial method of "scrubbing in" prior to surgery (Fire in Space).
- Catharsis treatment
- Adama: "If anyone amongst us can say that he's all right, after what has happened, I recommend them for catharsis treatment." (Saga of a Star World)
- Adama is likely referring to some sort of psychotherapy, a process where the subject is allowed to express deep emotions regarding an event in his or her life that had not been able to be properly expressed.
- Catharsis is a Greek term meaning "purging" or "cleansing".
- A special scan to aid a human in recalling lost or repressed memories (War of the Gods, Part I).