Jake (New Caprica)
|This page (like all pages on this wiki) was imported from the original English-language Battlestar Wiki based on what was available in the Wayback Machine in early 2017. You can see the archive of the original page here.|
Jake is a dog residing in the fleet of survivors escaping the fall of the Twelve Colonies and on New Caprica. During the Cylon occupation of New Caprica, his yellow food bowl serves as an indicator flag for a New Caprica Resistance dead drop. When this bowl is flipped over, an inside source within the puppet administration of President Gaius Baltar notifies the Resistance of important information to be used to aid the group (TRS: "Occupation").
Jake's involvement with the resistance is known to President Lee Adama, who calls him a hero of New Caprica. As his previous owners could no longer care for the dog, Adama gifts Jake to Romo Lampkin after he discovers that Lampkin's cat, Lance, died weeks earlier (TRS: "Sine Qua Non").
Jake is seen being walked by Lampkin aboard Galactica when Adama appoints him President of the Colonies (TRS: "Daybreak, Part I"). He presumably leaves Galactica with Lampkin and settles with him on New Earth, although he is not with Lampkin when the surviving humans move out to their new homes (TRS: "Daybreak, Part II").
- Jake is not the only living animal from the Colonies appearing in the Re-imagined Series to date. Rats and bats are seen on Caprica. For more on other life forms mentioned in the series, see Life Forms of the Twelve Colonies.
- The dog used to portray Jake in Season 3's New Caprica arc is a Landseer Newfoundland. Newfoundlands are known for their general lack of aggressive tendencies, and an instinctive ability to perform water rescues. However, a different breed of dog is used to portray Jake in Season 4's "Sine Qua Non".
- Jake is named after Ron Moore's Australian Shepherd.
- According to actor Mark Sheppard, who plays Romo Lampkin, Jake is the ancestor of all modern dogs.
- Bassom, David (2007). Cath Trechman Battlestar Galactica: The Official Companion Season Three. Titan Books. ISBN 1-84576-478-1, p. 42.