|This page (like all pages on this wiki) was imported from the original English-language Battlestar Wiki based on what was available in the Wayback Machine in early 2017. You can see the archive of the original page here.|
First Columbia (Galactica type)
|Columbia (Galactica type)|
|Role:||* Carrier / battleship|
|Armaments:|| * ~514 dual point-defense Kinetic Energy Cannons |
* 24 primary batteries
* ~12 missile tubes
|Defenses:|| * Flak |
* Non-networked computer systems
|Aircraft:|| * Full Viper Mk. II compliment |
* Full Raptor compliment
|Aviation facilities:|| * 2x flight pods |
* 2x flight decks: 617 m (2,025 ft) ea.
* 80 active Viper launch tubes
|Fate:||Destroyed, Operation Raptor Talon, YR60 (40 years BCH)|
|colspan="3" class="infoboxheader hiddenStructureTemplate:Roundup feet (Template:Roundupm)Template:Roundup feet (Template:Roundupm)Template:Roundup feet (Template:Roundupm)" | Dimensions|
|Length:||Template:Roundup feet (Template:Roundupm)|
|Width:||Template:Roundup feet (Template:Roundupm)|
|Height:||Template:Roundup feet (Template:Roundupm)|
During the twelfth year of the war, it is assigned to Operation Raptor Talon along with Galactica and one other battlestar, where they attempt to attack a Cylon post on an ice planet in or near Colonial space. Halfway through the operation, Columbia's mid-ship defense zone fails, and it is targeted by Cylon forces. Despite attempts by Colonial Viper pilots to fend off the attacks, Columbia, on fire and adrift in space, is destroyed a short time later. Someone on the ship has enough time to send out a warning for pilots to clear its airspace before an explosion tears through its hull. Columbia is one of the last ships lost during the war, with the Cylons signing an armistice shortly after the ship's destruction.
It resembles other battlestars of its class during the war, with hull plating covering its ribbing and the Colonial seal and hull number printed on the side of the "alligator head" forward section. However, it is finished with blue paint rather than red, as seen on Galactica's hull (TRS: "Razor Flashbacks").
Second Columbia (unknown type)
|Columbia (unknown type)|
|[[Image:|275px|Columbia (unknown type)]]|
|Role:||Carrier / battleship|
|Fate:||Destroyed, Zero Hour, YR00 (0 BCH)|
Columbia is a battlestar in service with the Colonial Fleet immediately before the fall of the Colonies. It featured integrated command and control systems and Dr. Gaius Baltar's Command Navigation Program (CNP). It is reported as lost, along with Solaria and Triton, during the initial moments of the Fall of the Twelve Colonies (TRS: Miniseries).
- The name Columbia is a derivation of the name of fifteenth century Genoan explorer Christopher Columbus, which itself is derived from the Latin columba, meaning "dove" or "pigeon"). While at first glance such an Earth-based name seems an unlikely choice for an "alien" culture, it might hint at a different version of the Twelve Colonies' ancient history.
- Many fans believe Galactica to be a Columbia class battlestar. However, this is not supported by official sources in either the Original or the Re-imagined Series. For the battlestar type Galactica belongs to, see Galactica type.
- These dimensions (in meters) were derived from the CG model and posted by Lee Stringer on the StarshipBuilder.com forums, which are no longer available. They are the most precise so far. The width with pods extended and the height are quoted here verbatim; the length was calculated by adding the posted dimension for the front of the ship (766.04m) to the posted dimension for the back (672.6m). The full set as provided by Lee Stringer is as follows: "Width (Pods out) 536.84m (Pods In) 352.34m Engines Max 359.38m Head Max 334.58m Length: Front (Main body) 730.65m (Antenee) 766.04m Back 672.6m (using the center of the two arms as the middle) Height (Armor/Mainbody) 181.825m (Details) 183.315m".
- This is from flight pod to flight pod while they are extended.
- In the first night of the Miniseries, Aaron Doral mentions that there were twelve Galactica type battlestars created during the Cylon War. Columbia is clearly of the same class as Galactica, and thus belongs to this type.